Skip to main content

How This Dream Turned into Reality

 

Our Log Home Story Nov. 13, 2020

 

When I met my husband David (in 1979) we were on a date and he told me how much he loved brick homes and log homes. He really wants to build a long home best. I said, “you want to build it yourself”? He said “yes”. He then went on to tell me that he would like to take a class on the log home building. After we got married, he kept talking about his dream to build a log home himself. We had our first son Ben, then came along Jason. We talked about the log home and how we could do this ourselves. David had heard about a man in Duval Washington was giving classes on (you guessed it) a long home building. It was a weed-end class and we both attended it. The cost was $300.00 for us both. When we got to the place in Duval, we were very surprised indeed! The log home where the class was being held was very big, but the door was so small!! It was only about 5 feet tall. Really, it was! So, David opened the door and we bent over to go it. The inside was beautiful. After the two days were done David started to think about the home he wanted to build. At first, it was to be two-story and 32’ x 32’, but as the days went by David was thinking, “how are we going to pay for this size house”? He went back to his drawings and came up with 28’ x 28’. I not knowing much of anything about building or realizing how small that was in a house said “OK”.

David’s father had 10 acres and gave us 5 acres and his brother Donald 5 acres. We were living on the 5 acres with my two girls from my first marriage and our two sons Benjamin and Jason in a little trailer about 45’ long and only 8’ wide. There was no running water or electricity. We were on that property for no more than two months and we just didn’t think it was where we should be living. It just didn’t feel right. We then bought 5 acres between Eatonville and Graham Washington. This was November 1985. Yes, it was not a great time to put yourself on an undeveloped 5 acres with mud up to your knees! We did it anyway with our old little blue trailer. To help you see this in your mind if you ever watched “I Love Lucy” there was an episode that she and Ricky were traveling through the US in a blue travel trailer. Well, ours was exactly like theirs. The only difference was that ours was over 33 years old and at the first rain we had we found out it had leaks in the roof. We had no money to buy anything else so we bought an old army tent. That thing was so darn big it covered the entire trailer. Yes, all 45’ of it and some to spear! We set it up right over that old trailer and that solved the problem of the water leak. We thought we would only be living in it for about 1 year. Oh, boy were we wrong about that! We lived in that old thing for just over 3 years. All that time we had no running water or electricity. We would go to our neighbor, they lived just over a mile away and got water from them. We could only bathe in it because their water was NASTY tasting, you couldn’t drink it. We would go to a place where the water came down the side of a hill and get all the freshwater we wanted. This so much good water, we could cook and drink it. We borrowed a generator from a friend and wouldn’t ya know it… it broke on us after having it only a few months. We had to pay for it to get fixed and used it for the rest of the time we were living in that old trailer. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, I also got pregnant with our third child. A beautiful girl, Jessica. This is a lot of people in that old little trailer for such a long time.

Well, this story can really run on and on but I’m sure you might not want to read all of it so I’ll just to the next part.

David’s dad bought us a larger trailer after just over 3 years. It was white, about 50’long x 12’ wide. It was nice to have more room. But, once again there was running water or electricity in this one too for about a week. One of our friends came over that helped us hook up some electricity to it. You see we were able to get a temporary power pole in so we were then able to hook up the electricity to it. Man, it was great having lights again. Then we hooked up the hose from the well house we had just put in. Ran it to the kitchen sink. It was cold water but we had water and I was so grateful to have it, in fact, all of us were. We still had to put a pan of water on the stove (it was a gas, propane) to heat the water and then take it to the bathroom and pour it into the tub then add some cold water so we could take our baths. We had 2 more children too. Another boy and another girl. No this makes 8 people in this white trailer.

I think most of you are thinking this: is this for real?? Is it all made up?? Sounds crazy!! Well, it is all very true. It was not my kind of fun let me tell you. But we managed the best we could. We lived in that white trailer for another 3 years. We were working on our Log Home for about 4 ½ of those years. We built it out of pocket. This means we didn’t get a loan, we paid cash for everything we could, used a few credit cards too but not much. Building our log home is a story in its self. But that is why I have a blog on Home Renovations though. I helped with a lot of the finishing of our home. I did about all the mudding and taping. You see, we have log walls all on the first story but only 2 logs high on the second story. We had a difficult time with the winches that we used to get the logs on top of each other. We broke 2 of them and couldn’t afford to buy and brake more so David used block and tackle pulley system to get the other 2 layers of logs for the second story. We had to stop and do a regular stick frame for the rest of the second story. That is why I had to do the mudding and tapping on the sheetrock on the second story. There is so much more to this story but I will save it for another time, another entry. 

Comments

  1. Wow!!! I am trying to imagine what it must have been like to live in those small trailers with no water or electricity and raise little ones at the same time. You must have a lot of inner strength (and outer strength to do all that winching and mudding and taping!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Archive

Popular Posts

Let's Get Started

I have never written a blog and NEVER thought I ever would, but here I am doing many things in my life I thought I NEVER thought I would be doing.   Making a blog isn’t as easy as one would think it is. There are so many sites that offer FREE blogs, but it is mostly a FREE TRIAL then you have to pay a monthly fee. So, you have to do your research to find that “just right site” to start your blog. If you want to pay a monthly fee it is much easier to do. Well, I did more research but still didn’t find the “just right blog site” I was looking for. I was talking about it to a friend and she suggested blooger.com. Of course, the first thing out of my mouth was “is it free”, she said yes, it is. So, you see you can just as a friend about things and they might be able to help you with your research. Ya just never know. If you are wanting to know more about blogs, just click this link:  Skrba, Anya (Nov 10, 2020) What is a Blog?  The Definition of Blog, Blogging, and Blogger...

Links for Renovations

All these websites, articles, videos are not in any particular order. They are here for you to find the ones you might find interesting or to help you with whatever home renovation(s) you are doing or going to be doing.  Renovations. (2020). Architecture Digest.   This is a very informative article you should like to read. There are great before and after pictures so you can get some ideas for just about every room in your house or apartment. When you read through this article remember you can do what they are showing even if you have a smaller budget. When I do a renovation, I set a budget before I get started. When it comes time for buying items for that room, I do some research on items I am wanting to buy. I do go to Google and find the best deal I can. Amazon is a good place to look too. I have prime on Amazon so shipping is free for me. Remember to take a look in your locale thrift stores too. eBay is another good place to find what you might want. The Fashion Ball, By...

Laminate Flooring

Ever heard of “Laminate flooring”? I think we all have. Think about it for a minute, laminate flooring, what do you really know about it? It is a great alternative to the expensive wood floors this is true. I have always loved watching different home renovation shows on TV. This is what gave me the ideas of what to do with our home.  As I am doing our bathroom and now coming close to doing the flooring, I was watching the show “Flipping Vegas” (this is found in re-runs on FYI 119 on Dish TV), as they got to the flooring it was laminate and I learned something I really didn’t know ( though I knew all about how to lay it). You should buy your laminate flooring at least a few days before you are ready to lay it, while it is still in the box lay them FLAT on the floor for at least 24 to 48 hours before laying them on the floor they are intended to go. I can hear you now “WHY should I do this, there is nothing wrong with them, they are brand new!” Well, you are right, but the laminate f...

My Blog

  I have never written a blog and NEVER thought I ever would, but here I am doing many things in my life I thought I NEVER thought I would be doing. Making a blog isn’t as easy as one would think it is. There are so many sites that offer FREE blogs, but it is mostly a FREE TRIAL then you have to pay a monthly fee. So, you have to do your research to find that “just right site” to start your blog. If you want to pay a monthly fee it is much easier to do. Well, I did more research but still didn’t find the “just right blog site” I was looking for. I was talking about it to a friend and she suggested blooger.com. Of course, the first thing out of my mouth was “is it free”, she said yes, it is. So, you see you can just as a friend about things and they might be able to help you with your research. Ya just never know. Another thing you must do is have a subject or an idea of what you would like to talk about and the kind of audience you would be addressing this to. Make sure it is somet...

Our Log Home Story

  Our Log Home Story Nov. 13, 2020   When I met my husband David (in 1979) we were on a date and he told me how much he loved brick homes and log homes. He really wants to build a long home best. I said, “you want to build it yourself”? He said “yes”. He then went on to tell me that he would like to take a class on the log home building. After we got married, he kept talking about his dream to build a log home himself. We had our first son Ben, then came along Jason. We talked about the log home and how we could do this ourselves. David had heard about a man in Duval Washington was giving classes on (you guessed it) on log home building. It was a weed-end class and we both attended it. The cost was $300.00 for us both. When we got to the place in Duval, we were very surprised indeed! The log home where the class was being held was very big, but the door was so small!! It was only about 5 feet tall. Really, it was! So, David opened the door and we bent over to go it. The inside...